Eco-Schools is the largest global sustainable schools program – it starts in the classroom and expands to the community by engaging the next generation in action-based learning.
It is a curriculum-linked, democratic and participatory program that provides an excellent opportunity for students to experience active citizenship in their schools. Both schools and the wider community benefit from this program, but we know teachers need a helping hand getting whole school programs off the ground, so the EnviroMentors are here to help!
The EnviroMentors will guide schools through their steps to sustainability, including getting a Youth Environment Council started, conducting waste, resources or biodiversity audits and working on an Action plan.
When a school has worked through the Eco-Schools framework, for at least 3 Themes, they can then apply for the internationally recognised Green Flag.
Council: picks the environmental topic of focus, Eco-Schools and the EnviroMentors then:
• Set up and conduct an initial meeting with the teacher and principal
• Provide all Eco-Schools resources
• Visit the school to visit with the Youth Environment Council and conduct an Environmental review
• EnviroMentors visit again to guide the YEC in conducting the audit on the chosen theme and put together the school’s action plan
• Check-ins with the school throughout the process
• EnviroMentors visit again later in the year to guide YEC through their follow-up audit
• Data collected, report complied and sent to the council
Using the combined efforts of school visits and guidance by our Educators, we aim to set schools up for long-term sustainability projects! Contact Hailey to chat about what we can offer your council