2018 Sustainable Communities –
Tidy Towns Winners and
Cessnock has engaged with the community at many levels to make their region more liveable, attractive and productive. Practical examples include:
- A Men’s Shed that assists many parts of the community with woodworking and metal working projects and repairs;
- a community garden and recycling with native plant production, as well as traditional health and wellbeing benefits;
- Proactive engagement with seniors throughout each year, highlighted with celebrations during Seniors Week.
- A similar engagement with young people.
- A Regional Art Gallery that hosts 12 exhibitions each year, educational activities and special events.
- A co-ordinated waste and recycling program, including construction of a new and easy to use waste transfer station, proactive encouragement of the community to use the waste transfer station, an engaging illegal dumping control program and kerbside recycling collection.
- A comprehensive Biodiversity Communications Strategy that explains to the community the value of local biodiversity and how to care for it.