EnviroMentors Environmental Education
Motivating, Advocating, Supporting and Celebrating for a Greener, Sustainable NSW
EnviroMentors, formerly known as Waste Watchers, is Australia’s leading mobile environmental education program for schools.
Developed and delivered by Keep Australia Beautiful NSW, EnviroMentors is offered as a service to enable Councils, Regional
Organisations of Councils and other host organisations to educate their children on a wide range of local environmental issues.
Interactive workshops facilitate student learning by passing on vital and effective information about activities and behaviors that
protect and conserve our fragile environments.
This memorable and efficient form of education has been assisting local councils achieve positive environmental education
outcomes in their communities since 1995. Excitingly, in June 2011 Keep Australia Beautiful NSW rebranded the program
from Waste Watchers to EnviroMentors to reflect the diversity of our modules and the expertise of our team.
There are now seven modules for councils and schools to choose from, enabling them to
choose topics most suitable to their local environments.
In the Bin - Students use drama to gain knowledge of local waste issues, including the appropriate bin to place waste items in and the implications of littering.
Click Here for In the Bin Teacher Resources
Close the Loop - Through interactive games, students find out about the processes involved in recycling and what new items are made from recycled materials.
Click Here for Close the Loop Teacher Resources
Let’s do it Now - Exploring the concept of sustainability, students work in groups to identify sustainable actions they can do in their daily lives at home and school.
Click Here for Let's do it now! Teacher Resources
Worms, Worms, Worms - Students learn about worm-farming as a simple, effective way to recycle food scraps and have the opportunity to experience a real worm farm.
Click Here for Worms, Worms, Worms Teacher Resources
Compost Critters – Through fun games and activities, students explore composting as an environmentally sound alternative to reduce waste going to landfill.
Catchment Action - Students role-play the harmful activities carried out by characters in a catchment story and workshop practices to protect our fragile waterways.
Click Here for Compost Critters Teacher Resources
Click Here for Catchment Action Teacher Resources
Drip, Drop, Splash - Students examine the water cycle and are challenged to consider strategies to conserve and share our and limited supply of water.
Click Here for Drip, Drop, Splash Teacher Resources
The Keep Australia Beautiful EnviroMentors program not only satisfies the requirements of four different Key Learning Areas for NSW schools as outlined by the New South Wales Board of Studies, but also caters for the needs of Council and other key stakeholders.
2013 EnviroMentors Brochure
2013 NSW Booking Form
How does EnviroMentors benefit Councils?
- A comprehensive primary school waste education service.
- Tailored workshops to address local isses and focus points that Council request.
- Promotion of Council's waste services.
- Provision of valuable and constructive feedback.
How does EnviroMentors benefit Primary Schools?
- Promotion and extension of positive environmental practices.
- Support of Board of Studies prescribed curriculum including HSIE, Science and Technology,
PDHPE and the DET Environmental Education Policy.
- Age-appropriate, interactive, hands-on, stimulating and fun activities for students.
- Provision of resource material including CDs, worksheets, brochures, posters, certificates and newsletters.
How does EnviroMentors benefit the Community?
- A greater awareness of waste issues.
- An appreciation of the need for appropriate waste management and disposal.
- Clarification of local waste collection details.
- Local issues and focus points highlighted.
- Influence extending to the broader community, as participants are encouraged to teach others new infomation they have learnt.
EnviroMentors Program Partners