The Keep Australia Beautiful NSW Clean Beaches – Connecting Our Coast Awards is a chance for YOU to show pride in your favourite beach! If your local beach is pristine, environmentally friendly and supports the local community, ENTER TODAY for the chance to be named the best beach in the state!
Clean Beaches – Connecting Our Coast
is a new revitalised Award program that has evolved from the previous Clean Beach Challenge.
The Clean Beaches program encourages diverse groups and individuals within a coastal community to work together to identify and manage sustainability and beautification projects relevant to their beach. The program empowers coastal communities to actively work for a cleaner, more sustainable environment through the sharing of knowledge, experience and resources.
Benefits in entering the program include:
- Taking part in a structured program that encourages participants to identify local issues.
- Gaining an external perspective and feedback from a trained beach assessor
- Understanding of the complexities of biodiversity and leverage when seeking out financial support for future environmental projects.
- Driving your own unique projects.
- Building community cohesion with individuals, schools, businesses, community groups and councils who all share the same vision of caring about the coast.
“Winter is the time of year when beachside councils and community groups can assess the needs of their beach for the next busy summer. The program is a fun motivator during the quieter season and a great opportunity to get everyone involved in caring for the beach” said Peter McLean, Chief Executive Officer of Keep Australia Beautiful NSW.
Keep Australia Beautiful NSW conducted 10 seminars throughout the State's coastal communities in mid-July to assist and support established Clean Beaches Committees. Chris Bell, Programs Manager, met and talked with local councils, life saving clubs, community groups and individuals who are interested in participating in the Clean Beaches Program this year.
In addition to the Overall Clean Beach Award, awards will also be given in the following categories:
- The Friendly beach award
- Environmental protection award
- Sydney Water conservation award
- Litter & Waste Management award
- Community partnership & Action award
- Young Legends award
Categories are awarded at a regional, and then a state level. Entry into the challenge is FREE
For more information about the program, please contact Chris Bell, Programs Manager, on 02 9633 3380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries close September 19th so enter your favourite beach NOW!
For media information
, please contact Marie Nicolas, Communications and Media Manager at Keep Australia Beautiful NSW on 02 9633 3380, email@example.com
For media comment and interviews
, please contact Peter McLean, CEO on 0416 227 158.